Hartley Wintney’s six match unbeaten run came to an end following a heavy defeat at Hendon.

As last Tuesday they were missing a number of their regular players including three of the four strikers.

Like last year’s fixture at the Silver Jubilee Park Stadium Hartley conceded a very early goal.

On two minutes a cross following a corner from Shaun Lucien found the head of unmarked Joe White. The striker’s looping header went over the Row defence including keeper Luke Williams and entered the goal between post and crossbar (1-0)

Hartley responded well and played some neat football. On 8 minutes Sam Argent set up Josh Webb some 20 yards out.

The midfielders powerful shot was beaten out by Rihards Matrevics in the Dons goal. On 14 minutes good work by Dean Stow down the left opened up a chance for Anis Nuur. The midfielders shot was deflected and Argent reacted quickly to head onto the top of the crossbar.

Seven minutes later with Hartley holding an edge Lukas Burt created an opening for Dom Griffiths who saw his shot saved by a well positioned Matrevics. Hendon’s lively forwards looked the more incisive and on 22 minutes Joe Howe set up Lucien who saw his shot deflected wide.

A minute later Hendon almost increased their lead when a cross from the left found Jayden Clarke unmarked and his powerful header brought out an amazing point blank save from Williams. However from the resulting corner the home side increased their lead. With the Row marking looking like Covid 19 Social Distancing Hendon worked the ball in from the short corner on the right. Lucien moved towards the area and his shot went through a crowd of players into the corner of the net (2-0)

Hartley were struggling and on 27 minutes Lucien gave Joe Howe an opening which he blazed wide. Approaching half time there was a moment of controversy. A long ball forward saw Matrevics rush from his goal. As the ball bounced he appeared to handle it well outside the penalty area. Referee Daniel Simpson was poorly positioned.

The assistant referee who had a decent view must have thought the ball hit the keepers chest and Matrevics was saved from an early bath. On the stroke of half time Nuur gave Argent a chance and the striker saw his effort saved by Matrevics.


Like the first half the Row were very slow out of the blocks and conceded two goals in the first six minutes. A spell of Dons pressure on 49 minutes ended with a corner from the right. Lucien’s flag kick found Toby Byron who headed in powerfully unchallenged. (3-0)

Hartley responded well and soon forced a corner. The flag kick was cleared and Hendon broke quickly up field with a three on two situation. Soloman Sambou had options on both sides but picked the best one in Jayden Clarke who ran on and shot home (4-0).

The Row almost pulled a goal back on 60 minutes when Matt Drage saw his header from a Ty Smith corner crash off the underside of the crossbar. Both sides had efforts bravely blocked by defenders as the game entered the final stages. The best opportunity for Hartley was in the 85th minute when a good run and cross from Josh Eatwell found no takers.

The expression ‘A bad day at the office’ probably sums this match up for Hartley. They must now re-group for their most important match of the season on Tuesday in the FA Cup against Barking.


HENDON: Rihards Matrevics, Joe Howie, Luca Perry, Sam Corcoran, Eddie Oshoddi, Toby Byron, Shaun Lucien, Solomon Sambou, Joe White, Jayden Clarke , Matt Ball

Subs: Cheyce Grant (used), Luca Allison (used), Tommy Brewer, Thomas Smith, Dwade James (used)

HARTLEY WINTNEY; Luke Williams, Dean Stow Tom Bird, Matt Drage, Joe Gater, Ty Smith, Josh Webb, Anis Nuur, Dom Griffiths, Sam Argent, Lukas Burt

Subs: Shane Hollamby), Nathan Smart (used), Clyde Okpo Ondo, Josh Eatwell (used), Toby Raggett (used).

Attendance was 291.

Hartley Wintney will next play in an important FA Cup match on Tuesday against Barking at home. The kick off is 7.30pm.