ANDOVER Rugby Club boss Andy Waite has bemoaned refereeing decisions after a 41-14 defeat to league leaders London Cornish dropped his side into the relegation zone.

The club’s director of rugby was incensed that a red card was not shown after Simon Preece was taken out in the air during a second half line out.

The referee saw the offence but only brandished a yellow card, a decision which infuriated Waite and his side.

Waite said: “When you’re down the bottom and fighting as hard as the boys did today you need some luck, but decisions definitely did not go our way.

“The red card should have been shown for a very dangerous piece of play and against 14 you never know what would have happened.

“As it was Simon Preece was not too badly injured, but we lost him for the rest of the match and they benefited.

“On the positive side we played much better today and in all honesty if we can produce more of that we may yet get to safety.”

The game began disastrously for Andover as from the first kick off Cornish ran the ball the length of the park to score a converted try.

Andover responded well and had plenty of ball as Cornish struggled to keep them out.

Andover missed two kicking chances and before long were made to pay as Cornish broke free from the shackles to score another converted try.

Andover once again roared back, but despite several penalties under the posts the referee did not produce the obvious yellow card and Cornish survived again.

The visitors then added a penalty of their own before at last Andover got some reward.

Andover’s front row ripped into their opponents and after several short scrum penalties, the referee awarded Andover a penalty try converted by Waite Cornish started the first half with a score after another disastrous mix up in midfield.

Andover again responded and pulled a try back soon after through Luke Linssner, converted by Waite.

But three Cornish tries without response ended Andover’s hopes as the league leaders claimed victory.

With Effingham and Leatherhead smashing Old Tonbridgians 48-13, Andover drop into the London South West Two relegation zone.

The All Blacks travel to London Exiles on March 4.