ANDOVER New Street moved to the top of the Wessex League DovisionOne after they beat former leaders Laverstock and Ford 2-1.

It means for the first time ever, both Andover sides are top of their respective Wessex League and Andover Town lead the way in the Premier.

Tonight, New Street they will hope to extend their lead as they travel to local rivals Whitchurch for a Friday night game.

The biggest crowd in the Wessex League last Saturday, turned up to see Oliver 'Gunner' Yates being the man on target with both goals in a game New Street in their win over Lavvy.

Manager John Smith said: "I think this was our best performance of the season. We were the better side from start to finish. They could not handle our forwards and the back four of Lewis Alderman, Gary Thorne, Craig Blakeman and Casson Spencer did really well."

Having guided his side to top spot Smith added: "I started the season aiming for a top 10 finish as tenth is the highest New Street have ever finished, but now I think we can finish a lot higher. We have a good bunch of guys and I must say physio Pete Turney does an excellent job keeping on the pitch.

"We are looking forward to the Whitchurch game and know they are decent side, who have picked up recently."

Despite Having seen his side beaten 4-0 on Saturday at Alton, Whitchurch manager Carl Bennett is looking forward to the game and said : "I know I have a good team as I have seen it, but it is just a case of if they turn up on Friday. we can put reams to the sword or just not be there.

"I have been told Andover New Street have been playing really well and it just goes to prove what a string of good results can do for you. they deserve to be top."

New Street beat fellow promotion chasers, Laverstock and Ford, on Saturday 2-1, planting them top of Sydenham Division One.

The great team performance was a well-deserved win for the home side with winger Oliver Yates scoring both goals.

New Street started the game explosive and with just a minute on the clock they took the lead.

It would be understandable if most of the 135 spectator’s, a season high, had missed the first goal. Clever play and quick feet from Shane Lock saw a neat pass find its way to Yates.

Yates took the ball down and finished superbly passed ex New Street keeper, the game’s eventual Man of the Match, George Baxter.

This shell shocked the away side and a few chances for New Street game in succession. The first fell to Zach Neve, Baxter saving with his feet and the other to Yates who didn’t strike cleanly and the ball comfortable finding the keepers arms.

Despite New Street piling on the early pressure, it was Laverstock who would score next, drawing level after just 10 minutes.

A hopefully ball into the box from Thomas Munday was controlled excellently by an unmarked Russell Jones. Jones then crashed the ball past a helpless David Tasker in the New Street goal bringing the sides level.

The equaliser didn’t seem to dampen the home sides constant threat on the Laverstock goal. Lock was next to bring a save from Baxter with a well hit left foot strike and would also miss the target minutes later with a 25 yard effort.

Neve is then released and looks to tap easily in but a magnificent last ditch tackle from Laverstock’s Spencer Horton prevents what would have been another goal for New Street.

Horton would have a chance of his own as a rare Laverstock attack would see a half chance header sail over.

Craig Blakeman would be next to ensure Baxter earnt his merits, as a well hit 20 yarder was again saved well.

As the half time approached Street would have one more chance to take the lead. The home side found themselves with 3 on 1 and in the Laverstock penalty box. Yates took it upon himself to go alone, with other options available, and Baxter would save again.

So the second half began at a rapid fashion, more rapid than the first. After only 35 seconds, Neve showed his class and sent a wonderful through ball to Yates. Yates shifted the ball from left to right and struck the ball fiercely into the roof of the net.

This quick start seemed to push Street further as they dominated the majority of the second half. The chances soon came thick and fast for the Andover side with some of their best football played so far this season. Another chance fell to Lock when the ball was cleared well from a threatening corner. Lock struck side footed but the ball just went over the bar.

The industrious Jazz Beavis would also get himself on the act but some great defending from Laverstock’s Graham Mankin prevented the midfield increasing the lead.

Baxter would make his best save of the game next as Lock seems to have beaten the keeper. Amazing reflexing got enough on the ball to send it onto the top of the bar over.

Street would then have 2 penalty shouts turned away as both Neve and Blakeman seem to have been tripped in the area.

Possibly the easiest chance of the half fell to Street’s Callum Sweeney. Another save from a Yates’ shot fell to Sweeney but the skilful midfielder couldn’t connect well enough and a goal was yet again denied.

Lock finally did have Baxter beaten with 15 minutes to go as he rounded the Laverstock number 1. This time Laverstock defender Philip Morgan would clear off the line and keep his side in the game.

Laverstock did have a half chance themselves but substitute Chae Sykes blazed over from just outside the box.

Street would have one last chance though before the game finished. Blakeman struck a cracking free kick that was top corner bound. You have guessed it though, Baxter saved again and the scores ended 2-1.

Arguably New Streets best game so far this season.