JAKE Archer put in a great performance at Cadwell Park in the British Motostar Championship.

The Andover ace had won the Moto3 title in 2018 and moved up to ride a Kalex Moto2 machine in the GP2 championship at the start of this season.

However, Archer made a return to the Moto3 class last weekend. Although he has been out of the class for eight races he left Cadwell Park with a two splendid results, a fifth in race one and fourth in race two.

The qualifying session took place on Saturday morning. It was extended to give the riders and teams more of an opportunity to work on bike set up after the cancellation of free practice the day before.

However, although the weather was dry there was little to be gained from going out early.

The track was drying so Archer sat and waited for the track conditions to continue to improve.

With half an hour of the session remaining Archer posted the sixth fastest lap time.

He then improved moving up to third at one stage.

At the end his best lap time of 1:35.200 was enough to secure a start from the middle of row two on his return to the category.

Race One the 12 lap race start did not go according to plan as the number 47 of Jake Archer slipped backwards to seventh by the end of the first lap.

He was quick to recover though making up a position on lap two and forming part of the chasing second group.

Archer was battling with Scott Swann and Jack Nixon and his pace was as fast as those at the front of the race.

On lap six he was forced onto the grass by another rider which saw him drop to seventh.

Archer continued to battle and after 26 miles of the Cadwell circuit he crossed the line in an impressive fifth position.

The second 12 lap race took place on the Sunday afternoon.

Archer lined up in seventh place for the start of this one. As they pulled away from the start line Archer found himself boxed in and lost four places on the opening lap.

Archer was going to have to fight his way back through the field. He was at the back of five riders fighting for fifth position.

He dispatched the Dutch rider van de Bunt on lap five before moving up to sixth position with five laps to go. Archer was then in hot pursuit of Jack Nixon.

He managed to overtake him on the penultimate lap leaving him in fourth spot. With the leading trio some distance down the road Archer held of the attentions of Nixon to finish with an even more thrilling fourth place finish.

Jake Archer said: "It was great to be back on the Moto3 again. It has been tough learning the Moto2 this year, so this weekend was about regaining confidence and enjoying my racing again.

"Although the rain in free practice didn’t work in our favour, having been off the bike for so long, the weekend and results were just what we needed."

Archer will next be racing at Oulton Park on from September 6 to 8.