A DISMAL first quarter performance cost Andover dear, as a young and inexperienced 'All Blacks' outfit went down 24-0 away to Trojans last weekend.
In a game rearranged due to weather, Andover were strangely lethargic from the start and Trojans took full advantage to give their own survival hopes a boost.
Without several key players due to injury and unavailability, Andover drafted in Charlie Rhodes and Callum Barber Starkey to make their first team debuts, joining Jake Meek, Trenton Small, CJ Feirn and Bryn Waite to complete the contingent from their impressive colts side.
All of these lads acquitted themselves superbly, with Bryn Waite in particular turning in an all action man of the match display in the back row, but in the end it was not enough to overcome a Trojans outfit fighting for their lives.
With wind against Andover looked out of sorts from the start and soon conceded from a bad defensive error.
After just eight minutes things got worse, when a charged down defensive kick gifted Trojans a second.
Trojans were using the strong wind to good effect keeping Andover pinned deep and it soon paid further dividends as a loose clearance gave them the chance to counter for another score.
Andover at last were stirred from their slumber and their extra physicality finally began to tell in the loose, where Nic Reed and Jake Dixon were making inroads.
Trojans suddenly looked vulnerable and soon gave away a yellow card, but as Andover tried to press them, another error allowed them to break and score again.
With twenty minutes gone it looked very bleak for the visitors, but they proceeded to take complete control for the rest of the game despite somehow managing not to score.
Behind a solid scrum and with Bryn Waite dominating the lineout, Andover began to keep the ball better and with Billy Pollard running hard, Andover pushed.
A clash of heads between him and Bryn Waite, saw the youngster leave the field for treatment, but Barber Starkey soon showed himself to be an able replacement.
Half time came and went and Andover took total control of the ball.
With eye stitched Bryn Waite redoubled his efforts and with CJ Feirn's hard running Andover pressed repeatedly.
They almost camped in the Trojans twenty two for periods.
Barber Starkey and Rhodes both joined the effort and both impressed. Despite all of the pressure though, Andover could not break through, a result of stubborn defence and some poor decision making.
Harry Batt and skipper Alex Hibdige tried hard to get Andover back into it, but it was not to be as the game came to a close.
After the game team manager Jody Morgan said: "The lads didn't prepare well today and it showed early on when we were caught cold. Whilst we were readjusting they were scoring and that made it a tough hill to climb.'
'I was impressed though with the way we kept battling and eventually took over the game, albeit very frustrated we didn't score at least a couple of tries. It was another good chance as well to look at the wider squad and It was great to see the young lads stepping up and doing well."