Andover first XI made it three consecutive wins in a row with a resounding victory over Hook in the Southern Premier Cricket League.

Andover, sponsored by Nordlock, won by three wickets but the winning margin should have been a lot more if Andover hadn’t lost late wickets with the game all but wrapped up.

Andover skipper, Johnny Nyumbu, lost his first toss and Hook surprisingly elected to bat first.

This decision was even more surprisingly as Hook slumped to 13-2 with Babu Veettil (22-5) picking up both opening batsman, both superbly caught by Nyumbu in the slip.

With Hook trying to rebuild the scoring rate slowed and Michael Adams (17-2) picked up his first wicket, well caught at mid-on by Aidan Janson, with the score on 23-3.

Hook then managed to build a partnership and moved the score onto 69 before they lost their fourth wicket. Jansen (41-2) was the man to benefit as the hook batter took one too many risks, charging down the wicket and he was well stumped by Matt Knight off the lively paced left-armer.

Jansen picked up the next wicket 16 runs later and Hook were under real pressure at 85-5.

Hook’s number five, Moore, was still going strong and he was starting to look settled. Nyumbu pulled Veettil back into the attack and he immediately picked up Andover’s sixth wicket, his third, which was well caught by Harry Blackburn.

On the very next ball there was a major turning point with Moore being run out with a superb direct hit from Jansen. Three balls later Veettil had his fourth and Andover had their third in the over and Hook had lost three wickets for no runs and were 114-8.

That quickly became 118-9 with Veettil collecting his second consecutive five wicket haul with another catch behind the wicket for Knight. Hooks final partnership decided to put the brakes on Andover’s charge and collect what runs they could. They added a further 19 runs over the next 15 overs before Adams was brought back into the attack and Hook were bowled out for 137 in 44 overs.

The Andover opening batsman, Glyn Treagus (26) and Sam Ashman (27), immediately took the attack to the Hook bowlers.

Andover raced to 60 without loss from the first ten overs, aided by some wayward bowling. Treagus was the first to fall and 10 runs later Ashman fell and Andover were 71-2.

Andover, whilst over halfway to their total, had to rebuild with Blackburn (17) and Charlie Ayers (27) starting watchfully. Blackburn was the first to cut loose with a couple of attacking boundaries in an over.

Ayers quickly followed hitting two sixes but Andover then lost Blackburn with the score on 109. Steve Williams (7*) supported Ayers before Ayers went for one big shot too many and Andover were 120-4.

With just 18 more runs needed Andover lost three quick wickets with Veettil, Knight and Matt Hooper all looking to finish the match quickly. It was left to captain Nyumbu to hit the final boundary and Andover went past the Hook total in the 25th over.

Andover solidified their position in third place in the league table, picking up another valuable 20 points. Andover are now halfway through the season and welcome Romsey to London Road, the team that currently sit one place above them in the table.

Andover will go into the match high in confidence, not only due to winning their last three games but because they thumped Romsey in the first game of the season at the start of the summer. Andover will be looking to leapfrog Romsey and push themselves into the promotion spots with another victory on Saturday at London Road (12:30pm start).