Andover First XI returned to winning ways in Southern Premier League Division One this Saturday against Calmore, thanks to a brilliant century by Glyn Treagus.

Andover, sponsored by Nordlock, named an unchanged team on their return to London road, following defeat to Basingstoke.

Once again, John Nyumbu won the toss and chose to bat first as the team looked to bounce back from their weakest batting performance of the year.

The usual opening pair of Treagus and Harri Williams started the innings off. The pair looked comfortable against the Calmore opening bowlers before Williams (3) was run out by a direct hit from mid wicket.

Ollie Banks-Williams (1) came and went, well caught off the bowling of Fisher. Overseas star, Richmond Mutumbami, then joined Treagus at the crease. 

With the score on 32, disaster struck with Mutumbami being adjudged LBW for 0 which left Andover three down early on.

Charlie Ayers came to rebuild the Andover innings.

Treagus and Ayers took the Andover score past 100 before Ayers was caught for a well-made 41 with score on 106.

Shortly after Joshua Banks-Williams joined the crease, Treagus passed 50.

The pair took Andover past 150 in the 35th over and brought up their fifty partnership shortly after.

Unfortunately, Banks-Williams was caught in the deep for 30 going for one boundary too many with the score on 158.

Matt Hooper joined Treagus as the pair looked to accelerate the Andover innings.

Hooper was trapped in front LBW by the bowling of Carty for 12 with the Andover score just short of 200. This brought big hitter, Babu Veettil, to join Treagus as Andover entered final overs of the innings.

Veettil came in and did his job, hitting four sixes in quick succession in his brief innings of 27 from just 12 balls before he was caught going for one more maximum with Andover 230-7.

Captain Nyumbu joined Treagus with four overs to go as Andover looked to push and get over 250.

In the 46th over, with a textbook back foot punch into the offside for one, Treagus brought up his hundred, his 13th Southern League hundred off 137 balls, which included 14 boundaries.

Two boundaries from Nyumbu and some good running took Andover to 258-7 off their 50 overs. Treagus was 106 not out.

New ball pairing of Veettil (0-25) and Aidan Jansen (2-27) started well, both sticking to their line and length.

Calmore made it to 72/0 off 23 overs before the Andover spinners came on.

Charlie Ayers (2-50) struck in his first over – bowling Calmore’s opener, Jewer, through the gate for 11.

Three overs later, Johnny Nyumbu (3-40), struck twice in three balls to remove Dey and then Calmore overseas, O’Connor, for a second ball duck. This left Calmore 85-3 off 28 overs and facing an uphill battle, requiring almost eight an over.

In the 30th over, Nyumbu removed Brewster for 49, hit wicket, to further add to Calmore’s troubles.

Jansen closed out the innings as Calmore finished on 212-7, 46 runs short of Andover’s total.

The strong all-round performance by the town side took them back into second place in Southern League Division One.

Andover are back in action this Saturday at London Road against third-placed Hook in the last game of the first round.