Andover won a nail-biter to keep their promotion charge on track against high-flying Hook on Saturday at London Road Sports Ground, Andover.

The first XI, sponsored by Nordlock, beat Hook, who started the day in third place. 

Andover are currently second in the Southern League Division One table.

Andover captain, Johnny Nyumbu, won the toss and elected to bat first on a green looking pitch but with a dry cool day forecast.

The London Road side started cautiously against some disciplined bowling and the Andover batters, Harri Willis (7) and Glyn Treagfus (29) progressed to 18 before Williams was the first to go.

Ollie Banks-Williams (3) took the score past 40 before he fell. Andover were struggling to get a foothold in the game and they fell quickly to 53-3 and then 77-4.

Treagus fell just as he started to look dangerous, following a brilliant unbeaten hundred the week before, and Charlie Ayers (19) fell after some lusty blows towards the straight boundary.

Joshua Banks-Williams (9) was first to go and he was quickly followed by Richmond Mutumbami (31) who was brilliantly caught at slip.

Matt Hooper (6) was given out LBW and Nathan Birks (4) soon followed.

Babu Veettil (14) was next to go adjudged LBW and the London Road side were in deep trouble at 137-9.

It was left to Andover tailenders, Nyumbu (37*) and Aidan Jansen (14) to try and drag Andover to a respectable total.

With a ball remaining of the allotted 50 overs Jansen was bowled and Andover had reached 201. 

Fresh from his heroics with the bat, Jansen (31-3) took the new ball and he continued his brilliant form.

However, the Hook batters had other ideas and they serenely progressed to 88, while Andover missed some difficult chances.

But Hook went from 88-3 to 117-6 as the Andover bowlers went in for the kill. Fast bowler Joshua Banks-Williams (33-2) and leg-spinner Ayers (37-2) bowled well for Andover. 

Hook worked hard to get themselves up to 150 before Joshua Banks-Williams, who is quickly becoming an expert at breaking set partnerships, deservedly got his second wicket.

However, Armstrong (44*) was going well for Hook and Andover didn't look like prising him out. With two wickets left Hook needed another 43 from the last 12 overs and the game was in the balance. They soon got the equation down to six to win with two overs to go.

Nyumbu turned to opening bowler Veettil and the Hook batter, Divecha, took the risk of a big shot only for his top edge to fly up into the clouds over Andover. Luckily, Andover's youngest player, Ollie Banks-Williams, was right underneath it.

Veettil's over passed without further scare but Hook were unable to score any further runs and it was still six needed from the final over.

Nyumbu threw the ball to Ollie Banks-Williams (19-1). His first ball, a brilliant fast yorker, was dug out by the Hook batter and it was now five from five balls.

Banks-Williams went for the same plan again but this time it struck the Hook number 11 in front of the stumps and he was given out LBW to send the large home crowd into raptures. Andover pulled off a remarkable victory by five runs. 

Andover travel to Rowledge on Saturday looking to continue their good form and hunt down Basingstoke hoping they slip up in the title race.