JUST 25 days after winning 3-2 at Petersfield’s Love Lane ground, Andover New Street hosted the return league fixture at home and came out on top with the same scoreline to take 11th place in the table with a healthy 31 points.

Prior to the kick off there was an impeccably observed one-minute silence in memory of Dave Stockwell who passed away recently and was one of the original New Street team when the club was reformed in 1961.

There are now just three ex-players of that team remaining. 

Street kicked off up the slope with the visiting defence rescuing their goalkeeper after he had been rather casual in collecting a through ball.

After just eight minutes, Street suffered a blow when Lewis Williams twisted his ankle and after treatment from physio Megan Ferguson, happily back in her role, was helped off to be replaced by Lee Morris.

Ross Cook looked to have opened the scoring after a quickly taken free kick but the offside flag was raised and it was the visitors who claimed the first goal after 12 minutes, with Jake Thomson heading home a Tommy Tierney free kick. (0-1)

One goal quickly became two as Petersfield broke down the left, James Mayo saved the first effort with his legs but Dec Seiden was first to the loose ball and Street suddenly had a mountain to climb. (0-2)

Cook saw a header saved from a Mikey Davis free kick but Street were giving the ball away in midfield with the visitors looking dangerous on the break.

A good run by Ethan Gee took play to the other end but three crosses in quick succession brought no end result.

Cook was wide with a free kick from the edge of the 'D' and another effort from a Claudio Herbert through ball flashed past the angle of post and bar.

Street were now very much in the game and got their reward on the stroke of half time when Grant in the visiting goal blocked an effort from Cook but the big striker forced the rebound over the line to give a healthier scoreline at the break from the home point of view. (1-2)

Petersfield were again quicker into their stride on the re-start but it was Street who struck first with only seven minutes played.

Mikey Davis crossed low from the right, Claudio Herbert's control was instant on the edge of the area and his right footed shot found the corner of the net - his first goal for the club. (2-2)

Morris and Lock combined with Grant pushing the latter’s shot around the post before saving from Cook after more good work by Herbert.

Aaron Randall and Brad Waters replaced Shane Lock and Leyton Tulk and Petersfield showed they were still in the game, Callum Kimber was too high from a good chance.

The match then took a turn in New Street's favour.

A long run by Waters was unceremoniously halted by Tyler Giddings who received a red card as the referee adjudged that he was the last player and  Petersfield were down to 10 men.

Midway through the half, another Waters' run was stopped, the ball was only half cleared and Aaron Randall beat Grant from the edge of the area, and like Herbert, notched his first goal for the club. (3-2)

The shot took a slight deflection off a defender but Street were now in front for the first time in the match.

Frustratingly Street were too often falling foul of the offside flag. 

Despite their numerical disadvantage Petersfield dominated possession with Street looking inclined to panic and they were grateful to Scott Hassell for a goalline clearance that maintained the lead.

However the visitors’ quest for an equaliser left them vulnerable at the back and Morris, seemingly always in space on the left, suddenly became the main point of attack and his ability to take the ball to the byeline and pull it back deserved more reward but some desperate defending and lack of steadiness in front of goal meant there were no further goals despite some nine minutes of stoppage in time.

Street are now on a four-match unbeaten run and they welcome highflying  Moneyfields to Charlton on Tuesday evening.