ROMSEY extended their unbeaten run to four games last Saturday as they enjoyed a comfortable win by 5-0 at relegation threatened Andover Town.

The hosts’ ground staff did well to ensure the game went ahead after a week of heavy rainfall, though the uneven playing surface proved tricky for both sides. Town boss Andy Samuels was able to welcome back striker Josh Jeffrey to his starting lineup and he was soon in the action when his fifteenth minute effort was denied by a goal line clearance.

Miles Bartram pushed a stinging shot from Andover’s Bertie round the post , before seeing his clearance kick cause the hosts’ ‘keeper to inadvertently handle  the ball outside his area and concede a free kick. Left back Billy Brackley stepped up and struck a deliciously curled free kick over the wall and into the top corner to give Town a 20th minute lead.

Charlie Hawes’ run to the bye line saw him set up Owen Holloway, whose close range shot drew a diving save and shortly after Andover were nearly on level terms when Cummings’ free kick from a narrow angle struck the post. 

Town doubled their lead five minutes before half time when Craig Bryant’s through ball from defence saw Josh Jeffrey beat the offside trap before rounding the ‘keeper to score into an empty net. Bartram preserved his clean sheet with a brilliant one on one save from Bertie as the half ended.

In the 57th minute Brackley added his second with a well flighted cross shot from the edge of the box after a clever short corner routine, before Jeffrey turned provider with a wonderful cross from the bye line that an unmarked Tiago Moreno rose at the back post to head in Romsey’s fourth goal after 65 minutes. Andover responded with an effort that hit the bar, but Romsey continued to dominate the game.

Moreno added his second and Romsey’s fifth in the 75th minute with a simple tap in after Craig Bryant’s thirty yard free kick was spilled by the 'keeper and Jo Sutherden pounced to steer his shot goalwards to which Moreno added the finishing touch. Romsey’s success was marred though by a nasty looking ankle injury to defender George Ockwell that saw him limp out of the game late in the first half.