A MAN was taken to hospital following a fire in Ragged Appleshaw in which the roof and first floor of a house were destroyed.

The incident happened on Friday, December 1 in the early hours of the morning at Harrow Farm Cottages.

Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service has confirmed that several crews attended a fire at a cottage and a man has been taken to hospital.

READ MORE: Same name kept in Andover family for five generations

A spokesperson said: "The dwelling measured approximately 15Mx10M, the first floor and roof were 100 per cent destroyed by fire and one male was taken to hospital after suffering from smoke inhalation.

"One aerial ladder platform, two breathing apparatuses, two hose reel jets, and two main jets were used to battle the flames.

"The stop message came in at 08.54am."