Why was UKIP election candidate Dave Watson away in Thailand?

Dave Watson

The candidate's wife, Phattawan Watson

First published in Basingstoke by

YOU would think that Basingstoke election candidate David Watson would have been out drumming up support yesterday - so why does his Facebook posting suggest that he could be about to move to Thailand for at least six months?

That was the question that voters in the Basingstoke South East division may have wanted to ask UKIP candidate Mr Watson. But that is easier said than done.

While most Hampshire County Council candidates were on the hustings yesterday, and with resurgent UKIP fielding candidates in all 10 local seats up for election, Mr Watson was thousands of miles away in Thailand - and if his Facebook posting, and wife, are to be believed, he could be there for some time.

According to posts on the social networking site, Mr Watson, vice-chairman of UKIP in Basingstoke, spent his first day in Thailand on April 28 - less than a week before yesterday's election.

He posted: “First day and ended up drunk on chang (beer) followed by Thai whiskey woke up with a thumping head. Today had my tablet repaired and had a nice sauna massage. Tomorrow must get down to business and join a gym.”

And on Tuesday, he posted: “Get my condo tomorrow. 6 months wirh (sic) sea views all on barter cant wait. Also has swimming pool below lovely.”

Mr Watson's wife Phattawan Watson, 31, who is from Thailand, told The Gazette her husband left the family home, in Mozart Close, Brighton Hill, suddenly two weeks ago, leaving her to look after their three young children.

Mrs Watson, who is currently out of work, said she did not know where her husband is in Thailand.

“He just left,” she said. “I just want to find out where he is. I want him to take responsibility of the children.

“All I know is he has gone to find his future life in Thailand. I wish I knew where he had gone so he could take responsibility for the children.”

After The Gazette contacted Mr Watson to ask him about his absence, the posts on his Facebook page disappeared and he said he had gone to Thailand for “a couple of weeks” because of a family crisis, before hanging up.

On Wednesday, Mr Watson emailed The Gazette to say he is in Thailand to visit his wife's parents “and see if there is a way to assist my wife through her crisis”.

He added: “I have also rented an apartment here for the family to use during this trying time. My plan is to return to England in the next week or two. While I am here I intend to try and sell some family land.”

But the previous evening, Mr Watson had emailed his wife and said: “They have been on my Facebook and called ny (sic) thai number.

“I told them im here due to a family crisis and to do a land deal due to a family crisis and to do a land deal and then pretended line bad and hung up.

“My agent Phil Heath has now spoken with them and hopefully they are not going with story because of election on 2nd and im still candidate they are going on everyone in ukip facebook looking for dirt.”

Mr Watson is the director of Romsey-registered office furniture supplier Scorpio Business Solutions, a post he has held since November 2010.

He married his wife in August 2002 and they have two children together - two sons aged 10 and eight - and Mrs Watson also has a 12-year-old daughter from a previous relationship.

Mrs Watson said her 51-year-old husband owns three properties in Basingstoke, two in Brighton Hill, and one in Popley, and pays the mortgage for their semi-detached home.

She claims that she has no savings or income, and only has £100 from Mr Watson when he left. “I don't have anything whatsoever,” she added.

Mr Heath, Basingstoke UKIP's campaign manager, confirmed that Mr Watson is in Thailand and that he was dealing with a family situation, but he added that he would return to the country.

“He is a good and honest man,” said Mr Heath. “Dave Watson and his family have personal problems. He's taken the decision to go before the election because it is urgent, including selling land to help out with the personal situation. I always recommend to my candidates that they put family first and elections second.”

He added: “He will be away for a couple of weeks. If he's renting a place for six months that may be for convenience in case he needs to go back. If he needs six months to sort it out, I support him on that.”

Mr Watson stood for election in Basingstoke South East which represents residents in Brighton Hill, Cranbourne, and Black Dam.

He came second with 984 votes. The winner, Liberal Democrat candidate Brian Gurden, got 1,278 votes.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:47am Fri 3 May 13

davescorpio0 says...

I would like to thank all those that voted for me.
I would like to thank all those that voted for me. davescorpio0
  • Score: -1

12:00pm Fri 3 May 13

jonone says...

People suffering a family crisis don't tend to brag on Facebook about how drunk they have got and how nice where they are is! Sounds like UKIP covering up big time!
People suffering a family crisis don't tend to brag on Facebook about how drunk they have got and how nice where they are is! Sounds like UKIP covering up big time! jonone
  • Score: 1

1:14pm Fri 3 May 13

Upontheroof says...

Why do the Gazette mention the UKIP candidate was away on a family crisis and should have been drumming up support.
Maybe unknowingly I’ve been living in a cave, but I’ve not seen or heard from any other candidate so why pull alleged quotes from facebook when in fact none of the others have drummed up any support that I’m aware of?
Oh, I know maybe the Gazette supports the Torys which is evident on how they make reports on Maria Miller.
Lopsided reporting at it’s best .....
Why do the Gazette mention the UKIP candidate was away on a family crisis and should have been drumming up support. Maybe unknowingly I’ve been living in a cave, but I’ve not seen or heard from any other candidate so why pull alleged quotes from facebook when in fact none of the others have drummed up any support that I’m aware of? Oh, I know maybe the Gazette supports the Torys which is evident on how they make reports on Maria Miller. Lopsided reporting at it’s best ..... Upontheroof
  • Score: -1

4:11pm Fri 3 May 13

Sam_Walker123456 says...

The Gazette should do more exposures like this of all politicians or would be politicians. Seems to me that Mr Watson left the family home without telling his wife what he was doing. He then lied to The Gazette when they got hold of him and then told his wife he had lied. She clearly does not know what her husband is up to and told The Gazette about his lie to them.
Mr Watson is either stupid or arrogant which makes him an ideal politician :-)
Well done to Adam Richards for exposing this charlatan - pity you did not do better when you met Maria Miller.
The Gazette should do more exposures like this of all politicians or would be politicians. Seems to me that Mr Watson left the family home without telling his wife what he was doing. He then lied to The Gazette when they got hold of him and then told his wife he had lied. She clearly does not know what her husband is up to and told The Gazette about his lie to them. Mr Watson is either stupid or arrogant which makes him an ideal politician :-) Well done to Adam Richards for exposing this charlatan - pity you did not do better when you met Maria Miller. Sam_Walker123456
  • Score: 1

8:58pm Fri 3 May 13

Herding Cats says...

http://www.andrew-dr
ummond.com/2013/05/b
ritish-political-can
didate-said-thai.htm
l
http://www.andrew-dr ummond.com/2013/05/b ritish-political-can didate-said-thai.htm l Herding Cats
  • Score: 1

8:07am Sat 4 May 13

Upontheroof says...

Herding Cats wrote:
http://www.andrew-dr

ummond.com/2013/05/b

ritish-political-can

didate-said-thai.htm

l
Interesting link. Things start to become more clearer ...
[quote][p][bold]Herding Cats[/bold] wrote: http://www.andrew-dr ummond.com/2013/05/b ritish-political-can didate-said-thai.htm l[/p][/quote]Interesting link. Things start to become more clearer ... Upontheroof
  • Score: 1

8:47am Sat 4 May 13

Best_Name_Ever says...

Upontheroof wrote:
Why do the Gazette mention the UKIP candidate was away on a family crisis and should have been drumming up support.
Maybe unknowingly I’ve been living in a cave, but I’ve not seen or heard from any other candidate so why pull alleged quotes from facebook when in fact none of the others have drummed up any support that I’m aware of?
Oh, I know maybe the Gazette supports the Torys which is evident on how they make reports on Maria Miller.
Lopsided reporting at it’s best .....
Probably because no other party had a candidate that would do something as stupid. Posting on Facebook then lying to the press. If the UKIP candidate finds it so ease to lie about a 'family crisis', makes you wonder what other things he would also easily lie about.....
[quote][p][bold]Upontheroof[/bold] wrote: Why do the Gazette mention the UKIP candidate was away on a family crisis and should have been drumming up support. Maybe unknowingly I’ve been living in a cave, but I’ve not seen or heard from any other candidate so why pull alleged quotes from facebook when in fact none of the others have drummed up any support that I’m aware of? Oh, I know maybe the Gazette supports the Torys which is evident on how they make reports on Maria Miller. Lopsided reporting at it’s best .....[/p][/quote]Probably because no other party had a candidate that would do something as stupid. Posting on Facebook then lying to the press. If the UKIP candidate finds it so ease to lie about a 'family crisis', makes you wonder what other things he would also easily lie about..... Best_Name_Ever
  • Score: 1

11:45am Sat 4 May 13

Folkestone Saint says...

Best_Name_Ever wrote:
Upontheroof wrote:
Why do the Gazette mention the UKIP candidate was away on a family crisis and should have been drumming up support.
Maybe unknowingly I’ve been living in a cave, but I’ve not seen or heard from any other candidate so why pull alleged quotes from facebook when in fact none of the others have drummed up any support that I’m aware of?
Oh, I know maybe the Gazette supports the Torys which is evident on how they make reports on Maria Miller.
Lopsided reporting at it’s best .....
Probably because no other party had a candidate that would do something as stupid. Posting on Facebook then lying to the press. If the UKIP candidate finds it so ease to lie about a 'family crisis', makes you wonder what other things he would also easily lie about.....
Because let's face it, no other politician has ever lied to the electorate.
Don't get me wrong he does come across as dodgey and I can see him being asked (told) to step down.
[quote][p][bold]Best_Name_Ever[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Upontheroof[/bold] wrote: Why do the Gazette mention the UKIP candidate was away on a family crisis and should have been drumming up support. Maybe unknowingly I’ve been living in a cave, but I’ve not seen or heard from any other candidate so why pull alleged quotes from facebook when in fact none of the others have drummed up any support that I’m aware of? Oh, I know maybe the Gazette supports the Torys which is evident on how they make reports on Maria Miller. Lopsided reporting at it’s best .....[/p][/quote]Probably because no other party had a candidate that would do something as stupid. Posting on Facebook then lying to the press. If the UKIP candidate finds it so ease to lie about a 'family crisis', makes you wonder what other things he would also easily lie about.....[/p][/quote]Because let's face it, no other politician has ever lied to the electorate. Don't get me wrong he does come across as dodgey and I can see him being asked (told) to step down. Folkestone Saint
  • Score: 1

12:47pm Tue 7 May 13

Best_Name_Ever says...

Folkestone Saint wrote:
Best_Name_Ever wrote:
Upontheroof wrote: Why do the Gazette mention the UKIP candidate was away on a family crisis and should have been drumming up support. Maybe unknowingly I’ve been living in a cave, but I’ve not seen or heard from any other candidate so why pull alleged quotes from facebook when in fact none of the others have drummed up any support that I’m aware of? Oh, I know maybe the Gazette supports the Torys which is evident on how they make reports on Maria Miller. Lopsided reporting at it’s best .....
Probably because no other party had a candidate that would do something as stupid. Posting on Facebook then lying to the press. If the UKIP candidate finds it so ease to lie about a 'family crisis', makes you wonder what other things he would also easily lie about.....
Because let's face it, no other politician has ever lied to the electorate. Don't get me wrong he does come across as dodgey and I can see him being asked (told) to step down.
I take your point Folkestone Saint. Maybe I should have made my point clearer in that it is unlikely that other politiciasn would make advertise their social situation on easily accessible forms of social media and then lie to the press about it. I am in no way saying that UKIP tell porkies any more or any less than the major parties :)
[quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Best_Name_Ever[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Upontheroof[/bold] wrote: Why do the Gazette mention the UKIP candidate was away on a family crisis and should have been drumming up support. Maybe unknowingly I’ve been living in a cave, but I’ve not seen or heard from any other candidate so why pull alleged quotes from facebook when in fact none of the others have drummed up any support that I’m aware of? Oh, I know maybe the Gazette supports the Torys which is evident on how they make reports on Maria Miller. Lopsided reporting at it’s best .....[/p][/quote]Probably because no other party had a candidate that would do something as stupid. Posting on Facebook then lying to the press. If the UKIP candidate finds it so ease to lie about a 'family crisis', makes you wonder what other things he would also easily lie about.....[/p][/quote]Because let's face it, no other politician has ever lied to the electorate. Don't get me wrong he does come across as dodgey and I can see him being asked (told) to step down.[/p][/quote]I take your point Folkestone Saint. Maybe I should have made my point clearer in that it is unlikely that other politiciasn would make advertise their social situation on easily accessible forms of social media and then lie to the press about it. I am in no way saying that UKIP tell porkies any more or any less than the major parties :) Best_Name_Ever
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree