Glass collection banks to be removed from sites around borough from next week (From Andover Advertiser)
When news happens, text AND and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Glass collection banks to be removed from sites around borough from next week
GLASS collection banks from sites across the borough will be removed next week to make way for new mixed plastic recycling sites.
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council will be making the change to allow residents to take mixed plastics and Tetra Pak packaging to new recycling banks.
The borough council is currently working with refuse partners, Hart District Council to determine the locations for the new hard plastic recycling sites are which are expected to rolled out in the coming weeks.
As previously reported in The Gazette, the borough council is introducing the £6,000 scheme to allow residents to recycle Tetra Pak packaging such as drink cartons and hard plastics including yogurt pots and margarine containers.
The borough council is also working with Hampshire County Council to identify more items that can be placed in green recycling bins and processed at their recycling sorting plant in the future.
Cabinet member for environment and climate change, Councillor Robert Donnell said: “Collecting glass in boxes with the green bins every fortnight has seen recycling go up 15 per cent but the borough’s recycling rate is still lower than it should be.
“Only 25.5 per cent of waste is now recycled in the borough, compared to the approximately 50 per cent that could be recycled if everyone put everything they can in their green bins.”
He added: “We have simply got to do better as a borough and we are looking at what is possible to keep the service that people want and drive up our recycling rate.”
Glass collections points to be removed are:
• Bishops Green Village Hall, Ash Road, Bishops Green
• Royal British Legion Club, The Street, Bramley
• ITT Sports and Social Club, Jays Close, Brighton Hill
• Brown Candover Village Club, Farleigh Road, Brown Candover
• Recreation Ground car park, Harts Lane, Burghclere
• The Irish Centre, Council Road, Eastrop
• Carnival Hall, Council Road, Eastrop
• The Royal Oak, Hydes Platt, Ecchinswell
• The Estate Club, The Avenue, Farleigh Wallop
• Queen Marys College, Cliddesden Road
• The Fur and Feathers public house, Old A339, Herriard
• Penwood Village Hall, off Heathlands Road, Highclere
• The King of Wessex pub, Winchester Road, Kings Furlong
• The Lychpit Centre, Great Binfields Road, Lychpit
• The Fox Inn, Andover Road, Newfound
• The Way Inn, Chapel Hill
• Osbourne Close shops, Oakridge Road
• Oakridge West Community Centre, Upton Crescent
• Berry Bros and Rudd Limited, Hamilton Close
• The Sun Inn, Winchester Road, North Waltham
• Old Basing Recreation Ground, The Street, Old Basing
• Overton Memorial Institute, London Road, Overton
• Red Lion public house, Overton High Street
• Popley Field Community Centre, Carpenters Down
• Preston Candover Village Hall, Farleigh Road, Preston Candover
• Basingstoke Labour Club, Sandys Road, South Ham
• Basingstoke Town Football Ground, Western Way
• Whitchurch Public car park, Winchester Street, Whitchurch
• George and Dragon pub, Baughurst Road, Wolverton.
Comments are closed on this article.